Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rice in Sajong


by Suman Lata Pradhan

Whenever I’ve traveled along the curvy roads between Gangtok and the outside world, I’ve been fascinated by the rice paddies along the way. I always wondered how it felt to wait for the rain and to know when to plant. I wondered, Is it still profitable to grow rice in the terraces? How much do the farmers earn? Why plant rice rather than other crops? More than anything else, I wanted to experience rice planting, which has been a tradition of our mountain people for generations.

I thought of this trip to Sajong, a small village tucked away between the capital city of Gangtok and the famed Rumtek Monastery, as a great opportunity for us teachers and students to connect with the rural life of Sikkim, which is rapidly disappearing. We had very little time to plan the long bus trip to Sajong. We divided ourselves into small groups. Each group had specific tasks to perform. But the most memorable parts of the trip happened in unexpected ways. Like taking the first steps into a rice paddy and feeling the mud squish through our toes, or carrying water to the outhouse because there was no running water.

The kids laughed and giggled as they tried to keep their balance while planting rice. Getting to know the villagers and experience their life-style made the trip a success. It gave me great satisfaction to see our Taktse kids having so much fun experiencing traditional village life. I wish I had had that opportunity as a student. Overhearing comments like, “Only boys get to work the plough with the oxen! Why not us girls?” assured me that our students were applying their critical thinking skills to traditional norms. I also overheard a student say, “This is the best field trip ever!” We plan to return to Sajong to harvest the rice that we planted.

I will no longer have to wonder when I see the rice paddies along the roads anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment